Monday, April 17, 2006

Asset Reallocation, Version 3.0: And the Winner Of $50K Is... link to this post

Just a friendly reminder, you are looking at an article at the OLD financialfreedumb.com. Click here to read this post at the NEW financialfreedumb.com. This may not always work.

I'm planning on shifting approximately $50k from cash accounts to stocks. Specific stocks include Johnson & Johnson, Procter & Gamble, Dupont, IBM, Wal-Mart, VZ, 3M, Raytheon, GE. I haven't decided yet, so there is no "winner" at this moment...but soon. I would really like to consider some alternative energy stocks as well...anyone have some input on any stocks I should consider? I don't know where to start...so many alternative energy stocks to choose from. My primary requirements for stock consideration: - Near 52wk low? - Chart indicates flat performance or down pattern? - Dividend? - Comparison to competitors in same industry? - Company outlook? - Management? - Aggressive compared to competitors in industry? My personal 2007 financial considerations: 1. I may want to buy a house, I would like to have ~100k available for a downpayment. Serious shopping to start around June 2007. 2. I have some CDs set to mature, latest one in June 2007. 3. These are not retirement stock investments. My retirement stocks are invested in company provided funds. Johnson & Johnson (JNJ) Current: 57.91, 52wk low: 56.70 Dividend: ~2.3% I like this stock. A great brand, more baby boomers retiring, long term, I think this stock is a great buy. Procter & Gamble (PG) Current: 56.60, 52wk low: 51.91 Dividend: ~2.2% Both JNJ and PG look good. Du Pont (DD) Current: 43.30, 52wk low: 37.60 Dividend: ~3.4% 3M (MMM) Current: 80.97, 52wk low: 69.71 Dividend: ~2.3% I don't really like 3M compared to DD and JNJ. General Electric (GE) Current: 33.89, 52wk low: 32.21 Dividend: ~3.0% Compared to C, PHG, and SI, GE's stock performance looks flat. Wal-Mart (WMT) Current: 45.77, 52wk low: 42.31 Dividend: ~1.5% I like Wal-Mart compared to COST and TGT, they are trading lower and have a better outlook. Of course they are huge, may be too big in fact... Verizon (VZ) Current: 32.81, 52wk low: 29.13 Dividend: ~4.9% Overall the telecom industry is questionable...with VoIP, wireless, I'm wondering where telecom will go. Plain old telephone lines will be here for a while though...Great dividend. Aggressive advertising. Raytheon (RTN) Current: 43.69, 52wk low: 35.96 Dividend: ~2.2% Not really the best time to get into this stock, but I like the outlook for the military industry. International Business Machines (IBM) Current: 81.93, 52wk low: 71.85 Dividend: 1.0% Not real attractive although they have been flat for sometime now...I'm not so confident in the tech industry...Dividend payout is fairly low. Previous posts: Major Asset Allocation, But Where? Part 2 Asset Reallocation, Version 1.0 Major Asset Allocation, But Where? Part 1 I also found a post by Dividend Guy that had info on using the Yahoo! Stock Screener...sounds pretty cool, I may check it out later...May 1st is quickly approaching! I gotta get my funds ready. Any feedback, ideas?


- to subscribe - back to top - back to main page -

I love comments. However, please refrain from posting links unless they are accompanied by an explanation as to why you think that link is beneficial to my readers. All comments can, and will be deleted, if I deem them unacceptable.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Advertisment