Monday, June 26, 2006

I Hate Those Tip Jars @ [put name of establishment here]! A Rant Letter. link to this post

Just a friendly reminder, you are looking at an article at the OLD financialfreedumb.com. Click here to read this post at the NEW financialfreedumb.com. This may not always work.

Dear [put name of establishment here], Everytime I visit your establishment, I see a little jar that says, "tips...thanks!" On top of that, if I pay with a credit card, sometimes I am faced with another line right before the total that reads, "Tip: ___________." Now, don't get me wrong, I appreciate great customer service, but this "tip" thing is just getting a little out of hand. When I buy my coffee, I don't think a simple, "Hi, how are you doing?," "Do you want room for cream?," and "Anything else for you today?" deserves a tip. Come on, I mean I'm already paying you at least 50% margin on what I'm buying! At a restaurant, service entails seating, taking my order, filling my drinks, cooking, bringing my order, cleaning up, desserts...Now that, I think, deserves a tip, but come on, taking my order, my money, and giving me my change back does not deserve a tip. So please, [put in name of establishment here] make it policy to remove these "tip" jars from your stores. I feel bad because some of your employees "expect" a tip, which to me is just ridiculous. Or at the very least, put it by where I pick up my order. Not at the register after you've just taken my money. I haven't even received my order yet! Thank you. Sincerely, Freedumb P.S. (Tips...thanks!) -> ------------END LETTER If you (blog reader) are interested, It's Just Money has a post on tipping guidelines.


- to subscribe - back to top - back to main page -

I love comments. However, please refrain from posting links unless they are accompanied by an explanation as to why you think that link is beneficial to my readers. All comments can, and will be deleted, if I deem them unacceptable.


4 Comments:

At 6/26/2006 09:35:00 AM, Blogger Flexo said...

Nice irony with the PayPal donation button after the entry on tipping!

 
At 6/27/2006 07:54:00 AM, Blogger freedumb said...

Hah, thanks Flexo. I hope someone from one of the corporate stores reads it.

 
At 6/28/2006 11:14:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i hope you're joking. don't tip if you don't want to. it's really that simple.

 
At 6/29/2006 06:10:00 PM, Anonymous mbhunter said...

Only way I could see justifying putting a tip in there would be if they were earning tipped minimum wage, which is less than non-tipped minimum wage.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Advertisment