Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Plan Z. What If I Lost My Job?

I recently wrote about how I would meet my 2006 goal, or probably not meet my goal would be the more appropriate description, but what if everything went south, and for whatever reason I lost my income source, my job. What would I do? I'm not sure...I've thought about this a little, but it's a serious question. Am I emotionally prepared to handle it? Financially prepared? What are my backup plans? Financially, I'll be okay. I have enough funds to last awhile, but if unemployment lasts long enough, it will eat away at my funds for my future home. Frugality takes on a whole new meaning. Emotionally, I think I'm ready. I don't particularly enjoy my job right now, and have been thinking of other things I could do. But the truth is, I'm not really prepared for it. How would I gain a new income source? Can I find a new job? Should I go back to school? Here are some ideas I have should I lose my job: 1. Start my own business. I do have some ideas that I've just never pursued fully. Including an online business selling various items from Hawaii. 2. Go back to school. I've thought about this one a few times too. I do want to pursue an MBA and/or a degree in secondary education. 3. Teach. Something I've wanted to do since my high school biology class. 4. Join the Peace Corp or AmeriCorp. Actually this is one idea that I would love to do. It'll become much more difficult as I have more responsibilities, so I could consider this something to do ASAP. With a family, house, dog, etc. it would be much more difficult to leave. What would you do if you lost your source of income?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Americorp seems very promising and a good way to make a few dollars and also receive an educational award.

But beware...and be careful. Get everything in writing that they tell you in the interview before you sign up. Almost everything my husband asked about (which was advertised) he never received. No child care benefits at all, although the local chapter of Americorp job posting clearly stated them as a benefit. My husband kept asking about it, and they kept dodging him.

Perhaps it was just how the local chapter where we live is run, but it was a horrible experience for my husband (and others he's talked to). It is a shame that a program that is supposed to do so much good treats their workers badly (in our opinon).

This is just my husband's experience - I sure hope it isn't like this for others around the country. Just be careful...as you should with any job.

freedumb said...

That's surprising. I would think that any promise of benefits is something any employer would honor, more so one that is tied to the government. Thanks for sharing the feedback!